Sunday, April 3, 2011

GBU retreat

Hello all!

I didn't blog last week, because I didn't have much to tell you. Until Wednesday last week I was busy with school work: my first midterm, and my first paper turned in for a class at the UB. Ahh!! The midterm went really well because it was a CIEE (the study abroad center) class, but I have know idea if the paper I wrote was really good or just flat awful. We'll see.

Spring is here! It's warmed up a ton and there are beautiful purple flowers blossoming outside of CIEE that smell like lilacs and make me really happy every day. Leaves came out on the trees on Las Ramblas. On Friday we went to the beach, and it was actually warm! We had a picnic, walked in the water along the shore, and sat basking in the sun for a while. It was delightful. 

Friday evening, a friend and I went to a retreat with GBU (grupos biblicos universitarios), which was really wonderful. I was a little nervous going at first, because I didn't know most of the people, and icebreaker games are not my favorite thing, especially when they are in Spanish, but it turned out to be a really great weekend. There were about 40 Spanish students there, 4 from the UK, 5 or 6 from the US, and a couple other international students. I thought they did a really great job with it. There were both Christians and non Christians there, and they started out with the idea of just stopping for the weekend, taking a break from all the busyness of life and thinking about what really matters. Saturday they did some workshops to get people thinking, and encouraging people to figure out what they believed, and to seek the truth. On Saturday, they had a panel of Christians, where everyone wrote down anonymously questions they had about Christianity, and the panel answered. There were really good questions asked and good answers that really presented the gospel. In our down time, we played lots of games, went to the beach and played volleyball, soccer, frisbee, baseball, and just relaxed and talked. Great weekend all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment